Pages

Sunday 22 April 2012

Costa Rica Caribbean Coast

So, after seeing an AMAZING 1.5m leatherback turtle laying its eggs on a beach in Costa Rica, then camouflaging them in sand and sliding back into the sea, in what was an incredible glimpse into another world, I left Tortuguero and ventured further down the Caribbean coast to Cahuita National Park. Leaving Tortuguero involved a 3 hour boat trip down rivers and canals, and some good company with some Norwegians and Americans that I'd previously met. Handy as we could then share a taxi further down the coast after the boat trip.

Cahuita national park is a beautiful jungle with mangrove trees lining stunning beaches, and I had an amazing early morning walk in the national park one cloudy morning.

Cahuita town, however, is pretty much a one street super laidback Caribbean town so after briefly checking out Coco's Bar, I decided to only stay one night and moved on to Puerto Viejo de Talamanca. This town is famed as the party town on the Caribbean coast, and most people use it as a base to go into the jungle, go on snorkelling tours or just to check out the beaches. There are lots of Americans about - or 'gringos' - and probably even more Canadians. I've also met some Norwegians and French people, but absolutely no Brits yet - this is amazing to me. I'm told that there are some but I haven't crossed paths with any yet. Everyone is very friendly and I went out to eat a couple of times with some Americans which was nice, although as they were on holiday they were spending money like water. But hey, when in Puerto Viejo....

So I followed Lonely Planet's advice while I was in Puerto Viejo - 'Eat a little. Drink a little. Chill a little. You've come to the right place.' I spent an amazing couple of days hitting the beaches - the highlight was probably hiring a bike and cycling down the coast through a coastal/jungle road, stopping off at some incredible beaches.

The best thing about beaches in Costa Rica and Panama (more to follow) is the fact that there is so much space. There are other tourists dotted around but you're pretty much guaranteed about a 50-100m spot to yourself. There are no hawkers or hasslers and everywhere feels very safe. You'll be pleased to hear my tan is coming on a treat (I'm writing this about 4 days after the photo above was taken!) - I feel so brown and healthy :)

The other main reason people come to Puerto Viejo is to use it as a base from which to travel to the border with Panama and onto Bocas del Toro, a chain of islands where I am currently writing this. The post and photos are on their way and I am definitely in paradise.

1 comment:

  1. Reading this definitely transports me to another world. Great pics. Love the hammocks.Look forward to the next post.

    ReplyDelete